Cuddles, complements and comfy underwear- what makes a woman feel good
Cuddles, presents and push-up bras have emerged on a list of 50 things which make a woman feel good, it has been revealed. The top of the list mostly includes compliments about what they are wearing or how young they look.
In fact, a complement about their weight (3) was what women enjoyed most, followed by their age (9), their outfit (12) and finally their hairstyle (19).
And, interestingly, although both featured in the Top 5, women ranked wearing comfy underwear above putting on something a little sexier.
Christmas must also have been great for the guys- women ranked giving a gift which someone clearly loved higher than receiving something themselves.
A spokeswoman for Sainsbury’s, which commissioned the ‘feel good factor’ poll of 2,000 women said:
”In January, we all need a pick-me-up but as this survey shows, it doesn’t need to cost the earth.
”Seventy-seven per cent of women claim their day can be made simply by picking the right outfit in the morning, showing how fashion influences the everyday mood of the British woman.
“And with the average female stating she feels good in what she is wearing for just three days a week perhaps a few more surprise compliments, alongside tucking into a good camembert and a good book could brighten the winter months no end”.
The survey results revealed some makes some interesting revelations about the things which really make women tick.
Interestingly, a bubble bath at home was rated more highly than a spa day, while reading a book beat watching a soap opera.
Praise for the children at school or on the playing field both make women happier than praise for their own work.
Equally, destroying any dieting hopes and indulging in a bar of chocolate or wedge of cheese is more pleasurable for women than socialising with friends, having a manicure or going on a first date.
While having clean teeth comes above going out for lunch or someone noticing your new haircut.
A third of ladies feel good when they have time to immerse themselves in a brilliant book, while three-quarters love having a meal cooked for them.
For those women who have children, hearing that they are clever or well behaved makes them feel fantastic, and mums also love it when they get a proper hug from their little one at the end of a stressful day.
All ladies love to shop – and purchases such as a new bottle of perfume, a push up bra and shapewear which makes them look amazing or new stockings please them no end.
And when shopping, 30% get excited to see a sale in their favourite shop, while 43% are thrilled to land a bargain. (it’s not surprising then that women feel good when taking their heels off at the end of a long day).
Recycling clothes also proved popular, more so even than booking a holiday.
Other feel good factors include watching a box set, receiving a bunch of flowers and exercise.
Singing along to the car radio goes down a treat with the ladies, as does a surprise present.
The spokeswoman for Sainsbury’s added:
”January gives a great opportunity to take stock of the year ahead and decide what really makes you feel good.
”Our research has shown that spending time with friends and family as well as quality time to dedicate to hobbies – whether it be reading, playing sport or hitting the shops – make most women happy and there’s no better time to start as you mean to go on.”
TOP ‘FEEL GOOD’ FACTORS
1. A partner giving you a spontaneous cuddle
2. Comfortable underwear
3. Someone telling you you’ve lost weight
4. Buying a present for someone which they’re obviously pleased to receive
5. Wearing sexy underwear
6. Finding a bargain
7. Receiving flowers
8. Being bought a present
9. Someone telling you you look younger than you are
10. A stranger complementing you on what your style
11. Tucking into a bar of chocolate
12. Being asked where you bought something
13. Catching up with old friends
14. Fitting into an outfit you thought was too small
15. Reading a brilliant book
16. Having clean teeth
17. Having a meal cooked for you
19. Someone noticing you’ve had your hair done
20. A proper hug from your son/daughter
21. Getting dressed up for a night out
22. A sale in your favourite shop
23. Being told your children are well behaved or clever
24. A bubble bath
25. Seeing a new play / exhibition
26. Buying a new bottle of perfume
27. Going out for lunch with friends
28. Winning a debate
29. Getting praise from the boss
30. A child thanking you for having them to tea
31. A spa day
32. Exercising / playing sport
33. Showing off a new handbag
34. The DJ playing your favourite song on a night out
35. Watching a box set
36. Your children doing well at school / sport
37. Taking heels off at the end of the night
38. Recycling clothes
39. Eating cheese
40. Doing a great job at work
41. Going on a first date
42. Have a good chat with friends
43. Watching soap operas
44. Sharing a bottle of wine with friends
45. Buying new make up
46. Having a manicure
47. Shapewear which makes your figure look amazing
48. Singing along to the radio in your car
49. Picking up a new skill / hobby
50. Cleavage enhancing bras